Do you need to receive the Daily Brief by way of e-mail?
Early findings in a brand new report evaluating eight baby welfare instances handled at Maine's Child and Family Providers office show that departmental improvements are wanted throughout the system. ] An ex-ante evaluation that started in October, lasting over a yr, had been commissioned in September by Bethany Hamm, former Commissioner for Health and Humanitarian Assist, to determine the shortcomings of the division; The Public Session Group was awarded a report
The evaluate is a part of a multi-faceted response to 2 high-profile baby deaths. In a couple of weeks' time, Hamm demanded an audit of four emergency payments to enhance the Maine & # 39; s baby safety system after 10 years previous Mari Kennedy and four-yr-previous Kendall Chick. In Might, the Public Administration Watchdog Group, generally known as the Program Evaluation and Common Price range Discharge Bureau, revealed a preliminary report during which DHHS staff failed in one case
. The 137-page report burdened departmental practices and recognized areas the place sensible enhancements are needed. It took a deeper dive into eight baby welfare instances, which have been "some of the most serious and problematic", and critical accidents related to the child's dying and continual neglect, though the small print of the instances are confidential.
Listed here are some
– Employees must be higher educated in "high risk" conditions. In one of the eight instances investigated, both obligatory journalists or members of the relevant public acquired over 30 calls from the unit's phone line from one household. Greater than 20 calls have been made out of one other family. Combining these references "should have raised questions," the report stated. PCG said that employee participation "did not always ensure" that the child or youngsters "best served the Agency."
– Staff need to enhance the timing. Among the eight staff dealing with these eight instances, there was a "observed urgency shortage", which is an "important systemic problem". In one case, it took a yr to determine the danger of the child, and another 16 months earlier than the plan for the problem was carried out. Extra usually, from September 2017 to August 2018, five % or 1,088 preliminary assessments of kid protection instances weren’t started in time.
– The establishment wants an internet reporting service for approved distributors. Thirty % of all incoming calls to baby and family service workplaces – where individuals can call to report suspected baby abuse – didn’t reply between January and November last yr. "Because this system allows for several possible errors," the report was found. OCFS has promised to upgrade its system over the subsequent four months, based on a report that includes the recruitment of seven new employees in the course of the call response time.
– The employees had problem difficult the mother and father' tales, even if the evidence had been contradictory. This concerned legal professionals in every of the eight instances, the courtroom system and different contracted service providers, and "no real consequences or actions were taken when the parents refused to comply", the report was found. Sometimes, from the kid's perspective, it will correspond to oldsters' stories, which weren’t all the time sought, although it must be given precedence.
The entire evaluate of the OCFS by the consultant will finish in March 2020. These findings will probably be merged with OPEGA's ultimate report – which is coming – to create probably the most comprehensive image of Maine's Child Protection System.
Right now in A-City
The candidate who rounds the cupboard of the Management Board receives a listening to on Thursday. It’s Amanda Beal, CEO of Maine Farmland Belief, who is a member of the Janet Mills Ministry of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. Beal, 46 of Warren additionally runs a family farm and a woodlot, and would result in a wide-ranging department set up within the merger of three departments in 2012 that many factions want to see cancellation.
Beal's listening to is earlier than the Legislative Committee on Agriculture at 13.00 as we speak. You possibly can pay attention right here. The panel is more likely to vote for his appointment to the Senate, which have to be confirmed. All 14 Mills' different candidates for the Supervisory Board exist already
Parliament and the Senate, at many committee conferences on Wednesday after the Snow Day, are legislating. Parliament and the Senate are scheduled to satisfy on Thursday at 10 am – primarily for work the place increasingly bills are despatched to committees. A number of committees also meet on Thursday, including a training panel, which organizes public hearings on five invoices, including Senator Matt Pouliot, R-Augustan, a proposal so as to add financial literacy to the listing of statewide curricula, and considered one of them Heidi Sampson, R-Alfred, authorizing course writing in courses three -5.
– The expansion of the most important employers in popularity has been shifting to places because low value houses aren’t out there on the coast. The Jackson Laboratory, which employs over 1,400 individuals in Bar Harbor as one of many world's largest scientific breeders, intends to relocate most of its production to Ellsworth due to the tight housing market on Mount Desert. Such a move would shorten the passage of most staff and allow the corporate to tug staff as far as Belfast, Larger Bangor and Machias.
– The primary Far East day in Maine's historical past got here to the Camden area on Wednesday. The varsity is most often conscious that it was canceled resulting from a snow storm, but college students from the varsity's administrative district 28 and the 5 Town Group Faculty District worked from residence. It was the district's first try at a distance faculty day, which it hoped to design final yr utilizing two distant faculty days to exchange regular snow days. The Maine Division of Schooling rejected the district's request to launch it for 175 faculty days, however a one-day pilot acquired OK from Pender Mackin, Mills' new schooling commissioner. In elementary faculties, students got expertise-based mostly tasks in the present day; Larger-grade students use laptop computer computers for duties.
– 5 Reputation Maine Hospitals belong to 25 groups with federal help to stabilize their economies. A group of hospitals is in Penobscot Valley Hospital in Lincoln, Northern Mild C.A. The Dean Hospital in Greenville, Northern Mild Sebasticook Valley Hospital in Pittsfield, Mayo Regional Hospital in Dover-Foxcroft, and Calais District Hospital and everyone have struggled financially late. The Federal Office for Rural Health Policy awards them technical assistance from Texas A&M College specialists. Most of these hospitals have recorded operating losses in recent times and Lincoln Hospital just lately declared chapter.
– Reputation lawmakers need to ban steam in faculties, which isn’t forbidden all over the place. Maine Public says that a variety of legislators need to ban the use or steaming of e-cigarettes in faculties. Vaping has shown to encourage individuals to give up smoking, however it has additionally reversed the decline in tobacco use amongst faculty-aged youngsters in Maine. Senate Rebecca Millett, D-Cape Elizabeth, has put forward a bill banning faculties within the state. Faculties must now belief their very own insurance policies. The chief of the Maine Principals Association referred to as it "the biggest disciplinary problem" in faculties, and a scholar at Yarmouth Middle Faculty referred to as it "a really big problem that needs to be addressed." Here's a soundtrack.
My Naughty Valentine
Completely happy Valentine's Day! We provide a moment of silent tribute to Rome's Saint Valentine, who was destroyed right now about 1750 years ago.
Often we respect individuals on their day of delivery, not on their day of demise
. The complicated thing is that there could be multiple St. Valentine. Catholic encyclopedia – who knew there was one among these? – notes that "at least three different sacred Valentines, all of which are martyrs, are mentioned in early martyrology." turned a convenient various for Christian leaders who needed to rub pagan holidays. In the fifth century, Pope Gelasius determined to exchange Lupercalian – the pageant of bloody pagan love, the place ritual victims, whips and men pull the names of younger ladies out of the field, for positive there were no romantic reasons – on the event of St. Valentine
Within the Middle Ages, the European birds started to mate in February Midway, also confirmed the connection between St. Valentine's Day and switching. The British, who have in all probability encouraged the advertising of Cadbury and the stationery trade, promoted the traditions of candy and love notes
The French claim to the prison duke's love letters demanded that the day was a festive romance. Nevertheless, the French authorities needed to deny the apply of burnt-down ladies burning photographs of these who rejected them for enormous hearth, as a result of issues have been too typically out of hand. French overreaction in coronary heart matters;
Once I was in elementary faculty, Valentine's Day was an enormous deal. We had to make heart-formed folders in the art faculty, then crammed with classmates. Participation was obligatory; cooties to be lost. You even had to give them to individuals you didn't like, democratic, but clearly uncomfortable.
I obtained round it by writing a Naughty phrase behind one card – prayers and swearing to rule the vocabulary at age 7 – but the plan was down when the recipient tightened me for weeks by threatening to inform my mother and father. It value me a number of candy and was my first lesson in romance. Right here's a soundtrack. – Robert Lengthy
In the present day's every day brief was written by Michael Shepherd, Alex Acquisto and Robert Lengthy. In case you have read this on the BDN website or posted, click right here to get Maine & # 39; s main publication on state politics by e mail within the morning of the day. Click on right here to subscribe to BDN.